If my child’s birth mother put our child up for adoption at the hospital andI knowthat Iam the father, how do I go about getting my child?

What about a paternity affidavit?

Asked on August 30, 2011 South Carolina


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Unmarried Fathers do  not have automatic rights to their child in the state of South Carolina like married fathers do.  Unmarried fathers have to establish their rights under the aw.  There are several ways in which this can be done.  Both unmarried parents can sign a voluntary paternity acknowledgment together at birth to identify the child's legal father. They can also sign the voluntary form after the birth at the State Office of Vital Records or at their county's health department. If the mother does not agree to sign the voluntary form, the man can ask the family court for genetic testing and a paternity court order establishing him as the child's legal father.
Once paternity is established then your rights will kick in.  Get legal help. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.