If an officer writes information wrong on a ticket does it make it no longer legally binding?

I got a traffic ticket in a 50mph zone and the officer
wrote 65mph as the maximum speed, if fought in
court would hat ticket, being inaccurate, get
dismissed or could a judge make a new ticket for the
correct speed?

Asked on October 3, 2018 under General Practice, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

The fact is that these mistakes happen all of the time. What will be done here is that the judge will order that the ticket be amended and the mistake corrected. Bottom line, an administrative error such as this will not be sufficient enough to get your ticket dismissed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.