If an officer forgets to Mirandize you while being arrested for driving with a suspended license, can you fight the charges?

I had an accident about a month ago and when the police arrived and checked all my paperwork and everything. They arrested me and for driving with a suspended license due to unpaid speeding ticket that I thought I had paid off after legal notice that my license would be suspended. My wife was standing in front of me when the officer put me in handcuffs and put me in the vehicle. The officer forgot to Mirandize me, so I wanted to know if I could use this fact in any way to fight off the charges so I’m not stuck in probation or paying any fines for the incident.

Asked on July 7, 2016 under Criminal Law, Georgia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Contrary to popular beleif, a person need not be Mirandized upon arrest. The Miranda warning only need be read if the suspect is taken into custody and then questioned. Further, questions related to the booking process (i.e. name, address, date of birth, etc.) or exempted from this. Accordingly, unless you were questioned about the incident that you were arrested for, you did not have to be read your rights.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.