If an executor has been appointed and signed paperwork to do so but no Will can be found, does she have any rights to carry out the deceased wishes?

Also, I signed paperwork 3 years ago to inherit his house upon death. Where can I find this and how do I know if it has been filed?

Asked on June 5, 2014 under Estate Planning, Arizona


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  This question is a little tricky. If there is no Will then really an intestacy proceeding should be filed and the beneficiaries under the law will inherit as per the intestacy statute in Arizona.  Abiding by the wishes of the decedent is always important but if there is no Will then the beneficiaries may be able to insist upon a strict construction of the law here which may differ from his wishes.  As for the house, what kind of "paperwork" do you mean?  That is very important to give any guidance. If it was a deed then it needs to be recorded.  Do you have a copy?  I would seek legal help here if there is no Will.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.