If an employer delays payment can they be made responsible for late fees on my bills which could not be payed

I work as an independent contractor for a privately owned company. Due to
employer error my paycheck for an entire month has not been issued. I can’t pay
bills if I don’t get paid. Do I Have any recourse?

Thank you for your time and consideration

Asked on April 28, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Assuming there was an agreement as to when they should have paid you--for example, you had a written service, or independent contractor, etc. agreement with them stating that you would be paid the 30th of each month, or within five days of submission of your invoice/bill, etc.--and they violated that agreement, then you could sue them for any costs or losses (such as late charges or interest) you incurred due to (i.e. can be causally linked to) their failure to pay on time. You have to be able to prove that their late payment caused the cost or loss by a "preponderance" of the evidence, or that it is more likely than not that they caused the financial injury. Suing is the only way to get the compensation if they do not voluntarily provide it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.