if alimony is my only income and ex retired from his state job

My ex has stopped paying my alimony it is my only source
of income he said I will receive fifty percent of his
pension when it starts in 3 to 5 months can he just stop
paying my alimony

Asked on October 23, 2017 under Family Law, Massachusetts


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

He has to keep paying his alimony as agreed to (in a voluntary divorce or separation agreement) or as ordered by the court, even if his circumstances change (e.g. retirement), unless  and only if a court orders that the terms be changed. He has the right to bring a legal action to ask the court to modify the alimony due to a change in his situation, but unless and until a court does so, he must pay. If he does not, you can go to court and seek a court order compelling him to pay on threat of contempt of court. Ideally, hire a family/divorce law attorney to help you; if you can't afford one or are determined to do this yourself, contact the clerk of the court and ask for the procedure to enforce a divorce agreement or order.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.