If I was accused of sex crime and it was reported but it has been 3 months without a word, what should I do?

Asked on August 3, 2015 under Criminal Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You need to consult with a criminal law attorney immediately. Frankly, you should have done so when this first all happend. Just becasue you haven't heard anything to date does not mean that the crminal complaint has been dropped. It might just mean that yor case is still being investigated. If you hire legal counsel, they can check into things for you. Hopefully it will just be to confirm that the case is not going to be prosecuted. However, if it is, they can at least then proceed on your defense.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.