If a tenant moved out after 17 months and destroyed the carpeting, can I bill them for it?

Asked on September 24, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Wisconsin


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If it appears that your former tenant destroyed the carpet with respect to the rental that you have beyond "normal wear and tear" then under the laws of all states of this country it is within your rights as a landlord to send the former tenant an invoice for the fair market value of the destroyed carpet (not value of new replacement carpet).

Keep a copy of the letter demand for future use and need.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.