If our second mortgage was discharged during a bankruptcy, do we still have to make payments?

If we do not make payments, can the lender foreclose on our home?

Asked on December 3, 2013 under Bankruptcy Law, Indiana


Terence Fenelon / Law Offices of Terence Fenelon

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You don't mention whether your bankruptcy was a chapter 13 or a chapter 7.  If you filed a chapter 13, the lien of the second mortgage company may have been avoided.  Such a result is not obtainable in a chapter 7.

I have to disagree with the previous answer to your question.  If the second mortgage was discharged, you have no personal obligation to make payments and you can not be sued for a monetary deficiency.  However, in the absence of a lien avoidance, the creditor maintains its right to foreclose on the collateral (your house) and take posession.  The chances of that occuring depends upon numerous factors which I will not delve into at this time.

The term discharge merely relate to your PERSONAL relationship with the creditor.  It does not discharge the "in rem" obligation, which attached to the property.

Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If the mortgage was discharged, you do not have to make payments and the lender can not foreclose, but that is a huge if.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.