If a property is in trust and the heirs have filed a caveat to change the executor, can the heir sell the personal and residential property?

This is a situation I am currently in. The heir is an attorney and has filed the caveat and is attempting to sell/lease the property and sell its contents.

Asked on August 23, 2013 under Estate Planning, Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

The caveat is an official notice filed with the Registrar of Surrogate requesting that you not be granted official recognition as Executor of the estate. Is the heir/attorney the trustee of the trust or is the Executor also trustee? It sounds like the heir/attorney may have legal control now and wants to prevent you from obtaining control by filing the caveat.  Is that correct?  By preventing it even for a short time the heir may want to exercise control over the property while he or she still can. This is a very, very complicated proceeding and you need legal representation. If the heir does something that is not quite legal he or she is riskingtheir law license here as well. Please get help. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.