If an estate has been settled without a house being sold, how does one get their inheritance stated in the Will?

My mother died 3 1/2 years ago. I signed a statement to finalize the estate without the selling of the home. I’m to receive $54,000 from the executors. When and how are they to distrubute that inheritance? I was under the understanding it was going to court but it did not go to court. My sisters are supposed to send me a check. What prevents them from doing so. Will I have to take them to court to get my inheritance?

Asked on June 26, 2012 under Estate Planning, Indiana


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  I would strongly suggest that you take the paperwork involved here - from the Will to any document served upon you and that you signed - to an attorney to review. It is too difficult in this forum to let you know how to proceed. Who was to get the home?  How is that asset and issue to be resolved?  WIll it be transferred to you as well as your siblings (assuming you inherited it together)?  You need the attorney to write a letter on your behalf as well.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.