If a police officer is driving drunk and causes a car accident injuring another driver, can he be sued for negligence?

An off-duty officer was driving with a blood alcohol level of over .175 and has not been charged yet (over 2 months later). Injured my son who is still unable to go back to school (senior year). Can the officer be sued for negligence?

Asked on February 26, 2012 under Accident Law, Michigan


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.