What to do if a person is trying to bring suit against me saying I owe them money for a loan but they have with no documents to support their claim?

This person is stating I owe them $8000from a previous relationship in a “loan” there was never any load of funds during the relationship only the usual gifts and purchases on one another. What case does this person have and what can I do to stop this ridiculous harassing behavior?

Asked on November 10, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Arkansas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You cannot stop a person from claiming that you owe him or her money. You simply have to wait to see if a lawsuit is filed or not and then defend it.

If the person that claims that you owe money to him or her has no documentation proving the claims, then you really have not much to worry about at this time.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.