If a person is arrested on false charges and the case is dismissed, can they seek reimbursement for bail and legal fees?

My son was arrested on false charges, no investigation was done, The case was dismissed. His bail was set at $10,000 cash. I paid a bondsman $3,333. The lawyer fees were around $2,000. Can I take the accuser to court to seek reimbursement for all the money I put out? If I can go to court, which court should I go to?

Asked on November 3, 2011 under Criminal Law, Delaware


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If your son was arrested based upon false information by an accuser and the case was dismissed as a result with no conviction or guilty plea, you son can bring a civil action against the accuser for reimbursement of the costs of defense, attorneys fees, accrued interest, emotional distress as well as all other damages.

The action would have to be filed by your son against the accuser. Potentially you might wish to discuss the practicalities of such a suggested civil action with the criminal defense attorney that represented your son in the dismissed action.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.