If a person has been collecting “lost wages” due to a car accident, does the employer have to hold their job for them when they’re released to work?

My son was injured in a car accident. Compression fractures to 3 vertebra in his spine. He has been collecting “lost wages” through my car insurance for 4 months and today he was released to go back to work. We immediately informed his employer and his employer said, “We’ll see. I don’t know.” He hired another person to work my sons hours while he’s been off work but has told my son since day one of the accident, “Of course I will hold your job for you.” Now he’s saying my son doesn’t have a job. How is this right? My son has been collecting lost wages for a job he now doesn’t have?

Asked on October 27, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

When someone collects

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.