If a person allows you to use a rental vehicle, can the rental company press charges for an unauthorized use against you?

I paid this girl to rent a vehicle for me because I didn’t have the proper things to do so. After she rented it I paid her extra money to rent it for me. Once she got the money she went to the cops to report it stolen because she said she didn’t want to be held liable if i was found driving it. I have proof that she gave me permission to drive it but now the prosecutor is trying to use the fact that the rental company didnt give me permission to drive it as apart of his argument. Can a person renting a car legally give permission to someone else to drive it?

Asked on August 20, 2012 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


Andrew Goldberg

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Great question but not one easily answered. You  will have to hire a lawyer to make your argument at trial and see if a judge or jury agrees with it.  If the retal company can prove you knew you were not eligible to rent the car, that is the first step. I think the rental company  the rental company will argue that your deception ( your actions ) evidence the fact that you did not and knew you did not have permission to drive the car. I I was your lawyer, I would not be too confident that you could win. You may want to ask the District Attorneys  Ofiice if you are eligible for a first time oofenders' program, whereby you would not get a conviction such as ARD.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.