If a non-US citizen gets married to a UA citizen, will the non-citizen be allowed to work/go to school immediately?

I know that it still takes a number of years to recieve a green card after getting married but can the non-citizen at least work on a career while waiting?

Asked on June 11, 2012 under Immigration Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Under this country's immigration laws, once a person who is not a United States citizen marries a citizen of this country, he or she is entitled to seek work and obtain work regardless of the fact that a green card allowing for such employement has not yet been issued by the Bureau of Immigration and Naturalization Service.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.