If a news website wrote an untrue story about me with many errors, is there any way that I can legally threaten them to take it down?

When you Google my name the first thing that comes up is a news report by a news website saying that I was arrested 2 years ago when I’ve never been arrested in my life. They also have numerous spelling errors in this article and even mix up my name with my friends when describing what happened that day. I just want it to be taken down so that when my name is googled this false news report doesn’t come up.

Asked on May 9, 2017 under Personal Injury, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

False factual statements made about you which damage your reputation may be defamation: you could inform the creator/poster of the article that unless they take it down (and/or post a correction/retraction) you will sue them for defamation. Not that only the person(s) who originally posted the article may be liable: social media sites, Google, and any other sites which do not originate content but simply allow people to post to them, to link to them, or which provide search results are not legally responsible for what someone writes/says.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.