If a neighbor shoots a pellet gun and the pellets go through a privacy fence and hits your air conditioner, is the neighbor required to pay or could this be filed on insurance?

Asked on March 3, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

It's not either/or--it's both. That is, if you have relevant insurance coverage, you could certainly file a claim. If you do not, or choose to not file against your own insurance, you could ask the neigbor to pay; if he or she does not, you could sue him. The lawsuit would be based in negligence--that your neighbor's unreasonable carelessness in how/where/etc. he shot the gun damaged your property. You could sue (or claim under your insurance) for the actual cost to repair the damage done by the errant shot.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.