If a neighbor house sat for us for 2 weeks and left a water hose running for 10 days which left us with a water bill of almost $1000, who is responsible for paying?

Asked on August 28, 2015 under Business Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You are responsible for paying the water company, since it is your account and they do not care--and legally are not required to care--who at your home family member, guest, even trespasser ran the water. 
The neighbor is liable, or financially responsible, for the increased water bill e.g. if a normal bill would be $100, she would be responsible for the extra $900 which only occured due to her negligence, or unreasonable carelessness in the law, if you are unreasonably careless and therefore cause someone some injury, damage, or monetary loss, you are responsible for it. 
If she will not voluntarily provide compensation, you could sue her for the money or if she is a minor, you would sue her legal guardians or parents. A good option for a case like this would be to sue in small claims court, "pro se" or as your own attorney, to save on legal costs and fees.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.