If a minor child has a child is he still elgible to recieve child support for himself?

Asked on September 19, 2012 under Family Law, Idaho


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

As long as the child is a minor, then the parent that has custody of him is still able to collect child support on his behalf.  The exception, would be, however, is if the custody order which established the child support obligation provided otherwise. 

Even though the minor child has a child, the parent paying child support is not obligated to support the grand-child and his/her child support will not increase because of the latest addition to the family.

If the minor child moves out of the custodial parent's home and becomes self-sufficient, then the parent could petition the court to modify the support order since the custodial parent no longer needs the money for the support of the minor child.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.