If a married couple divorces, can one parent move far away from the other and take the children?

I’d like to get a divorce but I don’t want my wife to take the kids to the state she grew up in, which is 300 miles away. She has been living here for 8 years and the last 7 have been while married to me. I have been a life-long resident.

Asked on August 14, 2012 under Family Law, South Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

In the event of a marital dissolution whether one custodial parent may take the children from the marriage away from the area where the marriage was depends upon whther or not the court will allow such. Generally, a petition is filed with the court seeking the movement of the children to another area by one of the parents.

Given the circumstances that you are writing about, I suggest that you consult with a family law attorney further for guidance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.