If a man was deported on drug charges, can he gain custody of the child that he had with an American woman while here in the US?

Does the mother need any type of specific documentation stating that she has sole custody? If she were to visit the father with the child, is there any way the father could legally take the child (US born) away from the mother?

Asked on November 19, 2012 under Family Law, Maryland


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Regardless of the "ifs" here I would absolutely request that the court issue a formal order determining custody of the child.  Now, if you were not married and there is no parentage determination then the mother is the guardian of the child.  I hesitate to tell you to travel to another country at all with out knowing more here about the situation.  Seek help in your area.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.