If a lawyer whose firm represents the doctors that I’m considering suing is willing to meet me for coffee to discuss my husbands death, is this a good thing?

Or should I back out and hire my own lawyer first? I tried several times to speak with the patient advocate in the doctors office without success and next thing I know one of their lawyers is calling me for coffee.

Asked on September 4, 2015 under Malpractice Law, Mississippi


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Do you feel that that doctor's office caused or contributed to your husband's death--your question does not make that clear. If so, this could be a very large lawsuit since it would be for wrongful death and you should definitely hire your own attorney and let the professional deal with their lawyer. Their lawyer is not your friend--he may be a perfectly honorable and decent person, but he works for the doctor's office or their insurer, and his legal obligation is to settle the case for as little as possible, if he can't make it go away entirely. So he will try to offer or give you as little as possible, or even convince you that you don't have a case. Instead of dealing with him yourself, since you are understandably emotionally involved in this and, presumably, have little or no legal experience, let an emotionally disinterested professional, whose job is to look out for you and your family, speak to their attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.