If a former mortgage company fogave some payments, can the new mortgage company come after you for them?

My mother-in-law’s mortgage company went bankrupt. They let them skip a few house payments while my father-in-law was not working due to back surgery. The new mortgage company who obviously took over their mortgage without notice served papers to them and gave them 2 hours to come up with $5,000. They thenlocked them out of there house until they can pay it. No notices where given and they were not told that they where the new mortgage company.

Asked on June 12, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Washington


Kenneth Berger / Kenneth A. Berger, Attorney at Law

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Self-help lockouts are illegal here in Washington State.  All evictions after a foreclosure are done through and with the help of the County Sherrif, not by the landlord, and only after the landlord/mortgage company has gone to court.  Two hours notice is not acceptable or customary.  Have them call me or another local competent attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.