If a detective wants me to make a statement regarding an accusation a woman made against me, do I have to make a statement?

I have since moved away. Can they force me to come back to ask me questions?

Asked on October 7, 2014 under Criminal Law, Arizona


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You do not have to appear at the police station if you choose not to. In fact, you are under no obligation to speak to the police even if they travel to your home. The fact is that if you speak to them without having an attorney to represent your interests, it is to their benefit. They can and will try to get you to implicate yourself. So, no matter how friendly they may seem, or no matter how intimidating and threatening they may appear, do not speak to them without legal counsel.

At this point you should to contact a criminal law attorney. They can more fully advise you as to your rights and the best way for you to proceed from here.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.