If a deed in the name of a minor child, can the parent sign in the minors name and sell the property.

If a minor is on a deed, can the parents sell the
Property and sign for the minor as the parents.
Because it is a child.

Asked on March 27, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

WHile it is possible, generally speaking, minors do not hold property in their own name.  A conservator should have been appointed for this purpose.  Florida does, though, address this issue specifically.  If the aggregate sum of the property does not exceed $15,000, the parent may act on the child's behalf.  If, however, it is above that amount, they need the permission of the court.  I will give you the statute.  Seek legal help. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.