If a Dea agent comes to my door and asks for my fiancee but will not tell me what it’s about or any information should she speak with them with out an attorney?

The dea agents came to my door
asking for my fiancee. She was
at school so that’s what I told
them. I asked what it was
concerning and the said they
need to talk to her they were
trying to keep her out of jail.
I need advice on what to do if
she should speak with them with
or without a lawyer

Asked on March 1, 2016 under Criminal Law, Florida


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

A person should never allow themselves to be interrogated by the authorities (i.e. DEA, the police, etc.) without having a lawyer present. Legally, an individual does not have to submit to any questioning or speak with them, even if they come to their home. 
At this point, your girlfriend really needs to consult directly with a local criminal law attorney. They can best advise her further.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

No, she should *not* speak to them without an attorney. If they say they are "trying to keep her out of jail," that means they think she did something wrong or at least appears to have done something wrong--something she could go to jail for. Since anything she says to them can be used against her, she should not speak to them without a lawyer there to protect her interests.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.