If a couple has separated and the wife has left the home/child of her own will, as well as changed her mailing address, what is her right to enter the home at will?

The separation is not a formal legal one. Can she do this or does she need permission/authorities supervision to do so?

Asked on January 22, 2013 under Family Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If there has been no divorce or formal separation, she has an absolute right to renter the home at will--it is still her home, legally. The only exception to the above would be if either 1) there was some sort of protective order against her; or 2) it had been a legal determination that it was in her children's interest for her to only have minimal and/or supervised contact.

MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

She still has rights to the home.  You would need to file for a temporary restraining order preventing her from entering the home (i.e., she would then be trespassing).  You should also seek full custody and you need a formal separation order to protect you and the child.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.