If a couple are married outside of the U. S and immigrated later to there, is the marriage legally valid?

They do not have a U.S. issued marriage certificate, however they do have the translated foreign marriage certificate. In case of separation and divorce, can any party claim the validity of the marriage in such situation?

Asked on February 14, 2016 under Family Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

As long as the marriage was valid in the country in which it was performed, it is deemed to be valid in the U.S.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.