If a company asks if convicted of a felony in the past 7 years and you were convicted over 7 years ago can they run a background check prior to the 7 years?

I filled out an application for health service work, and was told by management
that my felony 3 ct forgery 8 years ago would not interfere with my being
hired. On the application it asked if I had been convicted in the last 7 years,
and I answered No. HR did a background check and pulled the felony from 8 years
ago, and are now saying I am disqualified from working there. Do I have any
options? This is in Florida.

Asked on April 16, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

No, you don't have any options, unfortunately. Employment is employment at will: employers may freely decide who to hire or not hire, so long as they do not discriminate against any specifically protected categories or classes of people. However, the law does not protect people who have a criminal (especially felony) record; an employer may make such a record the basis for not hiring, and may run background checks on prospective employees to find such records.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.