If a client signs a contract and refuses to pay, what should I do?

A client signed a contract for service dog training. However, after several sessions no payments had been made, they were advised that training would not continue without payment. The client elected to end training but has not made any payments and has not returned company property. Do I need to look for a lawyer or collections department?

Asked on March 5, 2019 under Business Law, Colorado


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 1 year ago | Contributor

You can sue the client for breach of contract.  Your damages (monetary compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit) would be the amount you are owed for the unpaid training sessions.
Your lawsuit should include a separate cause of action (claim) for conversion which is theft in a civil case.  Your damages would be the value of the company property that was not returned.
Depending on the amount of your damages, you may be able to file your lawsuit in small claims court.  Upon prevailing in the case, you can also recover court costs which include the court filing fee and process server fee.
A monetary judgment in your favor can be enforced with a wage garnishment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.