If a business is HR tells you in writing what your wages and then change their mind, are they legally required to give view of the amount they gave you in writing?

I began this new job at the beginning of this month. I asked what my compensation would be and asked how much it would come to each check before taxes. She gave me an answer through email when I received my check today it was $300 less than what it was. I reached out and was told that she gave me the wrong amount. And my compensation is considerably less than what they had originally told me. Do I have any rights here? Are they legally obligated to gave me that original salary wage?

Asked on January 22, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 1 year ago | Contributor

They are only obligated to give you your "original salary wage" if you had not just a written statement of the wages--since simply putting something in writing is not inherently more binding than an oral or unwritten statement--but any actual written employment contract for a defined period of time (such as a one-year contract, two-year, etc.) locking in or guarantying your employment and wage for that period. In the absence of an actual contract for a set period of time, your employer may alter any aspect of you job, including your wage, at will.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.