If a board member and equity shareholder divulges our business plan/model to direct competitor, can we kick him off the board and take back the equity?

We have a shareholder that sits on the our board of directors recently decided he didn’t like the new direction of the company. So he picked up the phone and called our direct competitor and let them know what were are up to. He has damaged the company beyond calculation.

Asked on November 6, 2011 under Business Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

The best way to answer the question you have asked is to carefully read the bylaws of your presumed corporation as to duties owed by members of the board to the corporation. From what you have written, it seems as though the board member breached a fiduciary duty to the corporation and its shareholders warranting the board member to lose his or her position as a director/board member.

As to unilaterally taking back the board member's equity in the corporation, that cannot be done. A lawsuit first needs to be filed against the board member if warranted and if there is a judgment against him or her, the equity that the board member holds can be levied upon. I suggest that you consult with a business attorney about your situation involving the disgruntled board member.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.