If a 23 year old male has sexual intercourse with a 16 year old female and she becomes pregnant, what can legally happen to the male?

If no complaint is filed by her parents?

Asked on April 6, 2015 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

1) If she was less than 16 when you had sex with her, then you committed a crime and could be subject to criminal liability (imprisonment); this would have been statutory sexual assault. Even if her parents do not file a complaint, if the authorities become aware in any way and she was less than 16 at the time, you could be charged.

2) If she was 16 at the time of sex, there should be no criminal liability, but you would be liable for child support (assuming she has the child) for the next 18 years.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.