I’d like to change the Executor of my Will want to know if I could draw the document up myself have it notarized.

I had my Will updated after the loss of my grandson changed
the power of attorney to my younger son, but didn’t have the
attorney draw up a new Executor which I want as my younger son
too. At the time I was having health issues my mistake. I
reached out to the attorney 3 times as well as called 2 times. He
has NEVER responded not sure what’s going on, but do know
he left the law firm he was in.

Asked on November 13, 2018 under Estate Planning, Missouri


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

For a change such as this, you can draft and execute a "codicil" which is really just an amendment to the Will. And just like the Will, it must be witnessed by 2 people (neither of which should be a listed benefciary in the Will). Further while their signutres need not be notarized, doing so will expedite probate.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you can type up the document yourself. It must be be more than notarized, however: it must be signed and witnessed just like a will. That means that you must sign the document in the presence of two witnesses (neither of whom is themself a beneficiary under the will), both of whm must then also sign in each other's presence, and all the signtures should be (to facilitate probate) notarized.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.