f I’m in Chapter13 and have a 403B from a old employer, can I cash it out?

Asked on November 9, 2014 under Bankruptcy Law, Wisconsin


Greg Wiley / Law Office of Greg Wiley PLLC

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

The answer is probably but state's and circuits vary.  You should contact your attorney to discuss of there are any issues.  It should be exempt property.  Regardless, it will trigger a taxable event.  You will pay taxes on the money and if you are in a Ch 13, you are likely under a tight budget already.  You shoul dhave an attorney so contact your attorney and ask what might happen froma bankruptcy standpoint.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.