What to do if I would like to sue a person for writing a false review online using my full name?

This is very damaging to my business.

Asked on August 7, 2013 under Personal Injury, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You could file a lawsuit against the person for defamation (making a false statement which damages your reputation) and/or identity theft (if they pretended to be you--from your question, it's hard to tell if this also happened or not). If you feel that the damage to your business is costing you more than the maximum amount of your small claims court, retain an attorney to bring the lawsuit; otherwise, you probably should file the suit representing yourself (acting as your own attorney; pro se) in small claims court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.