If I would like to send payments anonymously to a Chapter 13 trustee on someones behalf, would there be any implications?

Would the creditors demand more money than they may have settled for given that other money is coming in?

Asked on July 16, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, California


Terence Fenelon / Law Offices of Terence Fenelon

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I would advise sending payments only to the extent that that debtor is unable to stay current.  Any payment should always includes the name of the debtor as well as the case number to insure proper credit.

You raise an interesting question as to whether accelerated payments would create suspicion of an increased abiltiy on the part of the debtor to make the payments.  That all depends upon the accounting methods utilized by the Chapt. 13 trustee practicing in the district.  In my experience, one trustee might flag it, the other wouldn't care as long as the payments were made on a timely basis.  Additionally, one ought to be familiar with the specific terms of the debtor's chap. 13 plan.  Is it a percentage plan ofr a pot plan.  It may make a difference in the completion of the plan and the expected payments to creditors.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.