What is the best way to transfer my house to my son?

I would like to put my paid for house into my son’s name. I am 84 years old and not well; poor; no Will.

Asked on March 14, 2011 under Real Estate Law, New Jersey


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

I would contact any center for the elderly and ask them about what would be the easiest and the best method tax wise in your state.  Many centers have free planning advice given through seminars, etc. You can consider transferring it to him outright and keeping a life estate, adding his name to the deed with "rights of survivorship" or creating a trust.  Are there any other assets?  How about any liabilities for the estate (in that are there any debts that the estate has to take care of)?  You need to consider tax issues as well.  It is wise for you to take these steps now so that there are no worries later on.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.