I would like to know if there is any way to terminate a father’s parental rights based on abandonment?

We have not know where my ex-husband resides for several years and he has managed to avoid at all costs child support. He does not have bank accounts, credit cards, or even an active driver’s license. The inability to locate this absent parent is keeping me from making other decisions for my children ie. I have a cruise and a trip to Italy I am planning and I am unable to get a passport for my children without the consent of this absent parent.

Asked on September 1, 2012 under Family Law, New York


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Generally speaking, termination of parental rights is a very difficult thing to achieve.  There has to be cause for termination and that cause can be dofferent for you than say a state agency looking to place the child up for adoption.  What you may want to do is go to court to change the custody order.  That may or may not allow you to get passports.  Generally the reason that both parents have to be present (or give consent) for those under 15 is that courts seek to protect the right of each of the parents and the "taking" of children abroad.  Take your present agreement and order to an attorney to review.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.