Do I have any legal rights to my college transcript?

I applied for financial the day the new term opened to apply. However, the aid had to be verified and the college dropped the ball on verifying it. I was issued a bill. I withdrew from the university and when I tried to transfer to another university I found out they had placed a hold on my transcript. The university informed me that I could not return there or transfer until I pay them. It has been six months since this happened, and my student loans are coming due, because I am not in school. I would like to know if it is legal to hold my transcript and prevent me from completing my education to gain employment to repay my student loan.

Asked on January 17, 2013 under Bankruptcy Law, Nevada


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country you have the legal right to your college transcript. Your right to your college transcript is typically subject to the written contact that you signed at the time of your enrollment where you get your transcript upon the college being zeroed out on any money owed it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.