How can I take ownership of my late grandmother’s house considering I’m paying the taxes an maintaining the house?

Asked on October 5, 2015 under Estate Planning, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

A lot will depend on how long you've been in the house, the involvement of other heirs, and whether there is a will.  If there is a will, you may need to have the estate submitted to probate.  If there is no will and you have been in possession of the house for several years, you may need to file a "suit to clear title."  To know which option is best for your situation, take any wills or title documents to a probate and/or real estate attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.