How does the process work to apply to become a resident of the US from being on a student visa?

I currently have a legal status F-1 visa.

Asked on August 27, 2014 under Immigration Law, New Jersey


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

There is no straight process to apply for a green card from the student status.  You have to be sponsored for a green card, either by a US employer on the basis of a valid offer of fulltime employment and that petition has to be approved or by a family-based petition from a qualifying relative, such as a spouse, child, parent or sibling and that petition must be approved. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.