How canI get a lawyer for my sonifI have no money?

My son beat up a boy in school because the boy had been bullying my son since last year. For a while, my son was able to ignore the boy. But my son said that it bothered him so much that he was having trouble sleeping and depressed all the time. At this point, I do not have the money to hire a lawyer. I’m a single parent of 4.

Asked on March 19, 2011 under Criminal Law, Nevada


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Since this is a criminal matter you really should have an attorney represent your son.  Perhaps they can get the charge dismissed or reduced.  See if he qualifies for representation by the Public Defender or Legal Aid (there are income limits).  Also, check if there is a law school nearby to where you live; they typically run free/low cost clinics that handle these type cases.  Finally, you can contact the local Bar Association in your county; they may have a list of attorneys who will take your son's case "pro bono" (for free) or at least for a reduced fee based on your income/circumstances. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.