i would like to file to bankruptcy but i owe all my bills in a different state then i live in so do i file in the state i lve or where i owe the money

Asked on May 27, 2009 under Bankruptcy Law, Indiana


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Bankruptcy basics are here and can include federal components, as well.  There are conflicts of law issues here, too: what state's laws and what federal laws to use.  This is why you need a bankruptcy attorney.




In terms of where and what you file, you really do need a lawyer.  At least consult with one in your state in which you reside.  Try www.attorneypages.com

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.