I would like to file a civil suit against a large corporation, and would like to offer an award for information to someone who gives me enough info.

I would like to file a personal injury lawsuit against a large corporation, and would like to offer a reward for information to someone who gives me enough info (or evidence) so that I can file suit (i.e. get a personal injury attorney to represent me on contingency). I know it seems a little strange, but there are folks unknown to me who have more information on this than I do. What types of reward(s) can I offer and not offer in the State of California and/or Orange County?

Asked on May 24, 2009 under Personal Injury, California


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I think you need to leave things like this in your personal injury attorney's hands.  If there is anything at all to your case, I think you will be able to find someone who will take the case on contingency and do the investigating from the start. You may want to work with a local injury lawyer, which may mean locating an Orange County personal injury attorney.

One of the problems with offering a reward for information is that it often ends up bringing in bogus information, for people just looking to take advantage.  Another is that the money can become a problem, if the person is a trial witness, because the other side's attorney will use that to make them look bad.  And if the reward offer isn't set up properly, you might end up having to pay good money for nothing.

Remember that large corporations have lots of eyes and ears.  An attorney will have more experience at gathering facts without attracting too much attention.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.