Can I break my lease without penalty due to the loud noisesthat management refuses to deal with?

I just entered a 12 month apartment lease. Since moving in a month ago the person living in the unit above us makes non-stop disturbing noises 24/7. We’ve complained to management about this several times via face-to-face meetings and e-mail but they refuse to take action. We have left a note asking if she could please keep the noise down during the late evening but it seems to keep getting worse.

Asked on November 5, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Connecticut


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You *may* be entitled to terminate your lease. All tenants have a right to quiet enjoyment of their premises--or a right to actually make constructive use of the premises for their intended purpose, such as a residence. If the landlord breaches this right, or allows other tenants to do so, it may give rise to a right to terminate the lease and/or seek monetary compensation.

Whether or not this situation rises to that level will depend on the specific facts--how loud, when, how often, etc. it will also depend on whether you have given the landlord the proper (written) notice or demand to correct the condition, and allowed them some reaonable time after that to take action. You would be best off consulting with an attorney, who can evaluate the situation and your options and provide the proper notice to the landlord to start the process.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.