If I would like to change my business from a sole proprietorship to an S-corp, can I do it alone or do I need a lawyer?

Asked on September 17, 2012 under Business Law, Massachusetts


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

There is not a requirement that you have a lawyer to change your business to an S-Corp, but it's generally a good idea to do so because it can save a lot of future headaches.  Many attorneys offer inexpensive services for incorporation that will include a checklist of your annual filing requirements.  They can also help you make sure that your entity is protected from challeges by another organization.  Massachusettes has a requirement that the name you use not be confused with any other organization that is already in business.  They can also help you evaluate what type of corporation is best for your needs.  You mention wanting to convert to an S-Corp, but you may also want to consider and LLC depending on the nature of your business and your long term business goals.  If you decide to hire an attorney, find one that regularly handles incorporations-- they will be more saavy at the issues you need to know about and questions of business law.  Family law attorneys are nice people, but they may not be aware of the nuances that you affect your company.  Also an attorney that regulary does incorporations will be more experienced, require less time to do it, and thereby cost much less than an attorney who is trying to figure it out for the first time.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.