I would like to ask about the N-600 form, certificate of citizenship.

My mother was a US citizen before i was 18 years old. She applied for
my green card and I received it when I was 18. I would like to know if
i am eligible to file the N-600 form.

Asked on December 24, 2017 under Immigration Law, Ohio


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

IF you automatically became a US citizen then you are a US citizen and you do not need anything but can apply for a passport.  If you did not automatically become a US citizen if you were over the age of 18 by the time your parent naturalized, you would need to apply for citizenship by submitting form N-400 to USCIS.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.